Friday, September 10, 2010

My Office Neighborhood is AWESOME... When I'm Not Dieting

The area around my office is overflowing with amazing restaurants. St Marks (japanese, mediterranean, etc.) is in our backyard, Veselka (eastern european) is a couple of avenues away,  so is Butter Lane cupcakes (one of their cupcakes is the best thing he ever ate according to Ted Allen), Otafuku (japanese street food) is near us as well,  and there are so many other choices if you want to eat great food. Except if you're low-carbing.

I have one go-to cart for when I have to buy a low-carb lunch near the office. It's one of those middle-eastern carts that sell the heavenly "chicken on rice". I usually order the chicken on salad, which isn't as popular but tastes almost as good.
I didn't cook last night for today's lunch because I realized I'm going to be in CT all weekend therefore whatever I cook will just go to waste. Of course, because it sells one of the few decent low-carb options here, the cart disappeared today. Lucky me. I detest salads, so I ordered a $15 salmon meal from a deli. I asked for just vegetables to go with it. The lady kept asking me if I wanted potatoes, or rice, or bread with it. She asked about the bread three times. I wanted to wanted to say "Please don't ask me again because the next time I might just have to say yes." but I didn't. The salmon was pretty bland, and I'm not sure why I even ordered the vegetables because I hate squash. I probably should have gone to Cozy for a low-carb burger platter but I didn't feel like having that (stupid, stupid). Please come back, cart!!

1 comments:

ettible said...

I love how people don't understand the notion of needing something to go along with your protein. The guys at work are really into the Cravings truck and keep telling me just to get the chicken without the rice, but if I do that, I still have to go somewhere else for vegetables. So that means avoiding the rice and dumplings at the truck and then whatever carby things my second stop might have. I know I could bring veggies from home, but I shouldn't have to!

I wish we worked together so we could get chicken meatballs from Taisho every day. I had a really good chicken gyro from a truck near Astor and Cooper Square once when I took a daytime class in that area, but I guess even a pita's too high-carb if you're saving up for the Papa John's waiting for you at home.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | JCpenney Printable Coupons