Monday, December 6, 2010

Eat This, Not That - Louvre Chocolate Cake, Shepherd's Pie and Eggnog


Today I found out that my two Eat This, Not That books that were ordered for me by my hubby were supposedly delivered last week. They are not here. So we've been bugging USPS about it, and while being all stressed out I started looking up recipes and treats for the holidays. NOT A GOOD IDEA. I've been pretty good about my portions recently (lost 8 lbs so far) so I tried to figure out what I could do to curb the cravings I'm having for holiday yummies.

First is the Louvre chocolate cake, http://www.payard.com/louvre-cake.aspx which I found out about when my sister showed me the link to their Pain Surprise, a French appetizer that we've been looking for in New York for sometime now. This cake was featured on Sex and the City I believe. It was the $70 cake that Miranda couldn't get herself to buy, and so bought a box of easy to make chocolate cake.

My take on it was to devour a 100-calorie pack of Hostess chocolate cupcakes. They're sweet, they're delicious, they're chocolate, and you know exactly when you should stop. They can be found at most grocery stores.

My second craving was for a Shepherd's Pie. I wanted to make one with turkey today because I had some leftover turkey and instant mashed potatoes and found this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/The-Humble-Shepherd/Detail.aspx. Unfortunately it's more than 500 calories per serving, and my hubby wasn't even that into the idea since he just made a huge batch of mac & cheese.

So I rummaged through the freezer and found the Smart Ones Slow Roasted Turkey Breast frozen entree. It has turkey, mashed potatoes and gravy, for only 200 calories. I'm telling myself it'll be just as good, and I'm sticking with it.

My last craving was for eggnog. Most mixes are about 400-500 calories a cup. YUCK. So, unless you're planning on having eggnog as a meal, go with this recipe from hungry-girl, which is at 88 calories a cup.



Low-Calorie Eggnog

Ingredients:


5 cups 8th Continent Light Vanilla Soymilk (or another light vanilla soymilk**)

1 small (4-serving) package Jell-O Sugar Free Fat Free Instant Pudding mix, Vanilla

6 no-calorie sweetener packets (like Splenda)

1 tsp. rum extract or imitation rum extract

1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg



Directions:

In a blender, combine all ingredients and blend on high until mixed thoroughly. Refrigerate for a few hours to allow it to thicken. Makes five 1-cup servings!

1 comments:

Katie said...

I saw eggnog in the convenience store in Kamran's building this weekend and immediately went into OMG-I-have-to-drink-as-much-of-that-as-possible-in-the-next-month mode.

Luckily, it's apparently easy to make low-carb!

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | JCpenney Printable Coupons