Sunday, July 25, 2010

Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Blast

1 tablespoon Hershey's unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tablespoon Smart Balance peanut butter
1 cup low-sugar vanilla soymilk
2 packets of Splenda or any other artificial sweetener

Put everything in a blender. Blend on a low setting for about a minute. Enjoy!


There's a breakfast drink in one of the South Beach cookbooks I have called 'Almond Energy Blast'. I was sooo excited to make it last week, since we finally have a blender again. Of course, Peapod didn't deliver either the tofu or almonds (because nothing ever goes my way). After pouting for a couple of minutes, I decided to put peanut butter in instead (Smart Balance supposedly has Omega-3s in there, but you can use any low-sugar variety of peanut butter). I put in some unsweetened cocoa powder as well, just coz it seems right to have chocolate with peanut butter. The result was delicious, and I've been somewhat addicted to it this week. I finished an entire carton of soymilk this week which NEVER happens. It basically tastes like drinking a peanut butter cup.

The 'Energy Blast' in the name is true as well. I had one 30 minutes before a workout, and it really helped me get through it. Usually I'm dying and thinking of quitting halfway through that particular workout. Powered by the drink, I made it 75% of the way before I felt the usual fatigue.

** I just want to add my opinion on soymilk. For anyone who judges it because the word 'soy' is in there, I think you should try it at least once. The healthier milk alternatives, which are usually 1%, 2% or nonfat, actually taste like water to me. Soymilk is soo much creamier.

4 comments:

ettible said...

Do you ever drink almond milk? I like the unsweetened chocolate flavor of Almond Breeze with a little Truvia or Splenda more than any soymilk I've tried.

I was smoothie-less for the longest time because Kamran has one of those half-fridges that doesn't freeze anything, but we found out that the convenience store in his building sells cups of ice. Heaven!

Glad to you know you use Peapod. I was looking at Fresh Direct this weekend, actually, but they didn't have all of the low-carb stuff I want. I'll look in to Peapod.

danztilya said...

Haha that is absolutely hilarious because as I was reading your comment I was drinking a glass of almond milk (which replaced my now empty carton of silk), with a packet of Truvia (which I tried for the first time tonight). I was too lazy to blend anything but this is still really delicious.

I actually tried almond milk before soymilk, and prefer it but I don't usually find it at grocery stores (or I'm too lazy to go around hunting for it). Luckily they have it at the Target in Long Island. I think Truvia tastes so much more like sugar than Splenda, and I was amazed when I had my first sip. Although, I might have been having so much artificial sweetener that I've forgotten what real sugar tastes like in beverages.

Peapod is great for when they actually stock what I want. But I guess it's better to have SOME of the stuff delivered than lug all of it up to the apartment. We've ordered from there a couple of times and they usually only have up to 3 things out of stock, which I guess isn't bad. You definitely should look into Peapod because I think Fresh Direct is so overpriced.

ettible said...

It's funny that I happened to come back here tonight and read this, because I spent $88 at the grocery store last night and decided to put all of my items into FreshDirect today to see how much it would cost. Check Unbreaded for the result tomorrow. :)

I checked out Peapod, but they don't deliver to Kamran's area. WTF! Who doesn't deliver to Manhattan?!

danztilya said...

Oh yeah I remember being pissed peapod couldn't deliver to our apartment near Battery Park.. booo.. I couldn't find your entry about fresh direct on unbreaded..

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | JCpenney Printable Coupons