Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Creamy Chili Short Ribs

olive oil
salt and pepper
1 cup of cooked cut up short ribs (or any other leftover meat)
2 cups cauliflower and broccoli
heavy cream
oil chili (found in Asian stores)

Saute the cauliflower and broccoli in olive oil (if not yet cooked). Add salt and pepper to taste (if needed).  Add the short ribs and chili and saute until heated. Add some heavy cream and saute, saute, saute. Give it a taste and add more salt if needed.

I've found that making a meal out of leftovers is more enjoyable for me than cooking regular meals. I never really look up recipes for them online, and always end up improvising. I guess it brings out my creative side, which really doesn't come out that often.

I usually saute a bunch of vegetables for the week when I'm on South Beach. Last week it was broccoli and cauliflower (I usually add onions but I ran out). So I had some veggies. Last night I tried a slow-cooker short rib recipe without using flour. Unfortunately since I'm still getting used to our new slow-cooker, I thought it lacked salt (it was extremely tender, at least!). So tonight I figured I'd have the veggies and the short-rib, but I wasn't too excited at the prospect since neither of them had any sauce, and who gets excited over veggies anyway? I though of sauteing them with chili first, because that's my go-to spice (that and sesame oil) for when I'm cooking originally bland leftovers. I looked in my fridge and saw some leftover heavy cream from when I made green bean casserole last week, and thought, 'Why not?'. So I added in some cream at the end, and boy did that make a difference. I can imagine shrimp, beef or chicken would work with this as well. This is one of the most delicious leftover meals I've ever made. For any people who don't really care about dieting but are just reading my blog to support me (:P) this would go well with rice or noodles (My hubby actually had it with some ramen and removed the veggies lol).

This is the short rib recipe for those interested: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Cooked-German-Short-Ribs/Detail.aspx I didn't use flour of course.

2 comments:

ettible said...

Hey, this looks easy enough that even a cooking idiot like me could try it. Of course I won't use short ribs, because I would screw them up so hard, but I could totally do chicken or pork. Heavy cream as a sauce base is so genius; I'm always using pre-made stuff like ranch dressing even though my refrigerator is never without heavy cream.

danztilya said...

It's definitely easy to make. Let me know how it goes when you try it. :)

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Design by Free WordPress Themes | Bloggerized by Lasantha - Premium Blogger Themes | JCpenney Printable Coupons